-

12 April 2011

Harry Potter Movie Night.. at home!



Our kids are SO excited to see the newest Harry Potter on Friday when it comes out on DVD, they weren't taken to the theatre because we need to skip all the scary parts!

Hubby has been gone all week but he will be home just in time to have dinner and watch a movie Friday. There is no school that day so we have all day to play and do some fun stuff!  The older 2 really love to help cook and do cooking stuff, the youngest likes to play IN the dishwasher (not really loving that). So I am trying to make a list of all the things we could make for dinner/movie night. Stuff that isn't too complicated/time consuming or expensive!  I know for sure we will do something simple for the main part of dinner. Friday's are kinda busy, but especially this Friday! So we are having pork roast in the crock pot and oven roasted potatoes, but the rest I want to take some of the Harry Potter character favorites and see what I can do!

  I've shared these chocolate frogs before


I have a feeling those won't make it this time, they are a little complicated for kids.
Some other stuff from around the web:

chocolate wands (but not in Valentines day colors)

I will probably do purple and got these Wilton Edible Glitter Stars

The kids will love them, making and I am sure eating!

Harry Potter and friends have Pumpkin Pasties (Pumpkin hand pies) as a treat in the books. I'm thinking I am going to try to make sweet potato ones, and not sweet, but savory ones, using this recipe for some inspiration, but I still want to do them small sized!

My favorite recipe for sweet Pumpkin Pasties is HERE, don't these look amazing?!


And of course the kids are already asking if they will get to have Butter Beer! I've made it for them before HERE, but I found this recipe that I want to try instead this time!


1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/4 cup butterscotch topping
1 1/2 cup vanilla cream soda

Combine condensed milk and butterscotch topping. Heat mixture and stir to combine.
 Heat cream soda and add mixture, stir thoroughly!
Also thought about making them float style instead of warm too.


Some other things that could be fun are



Rock Cakes
I think these are usually a scone type pastry, but I thought it would be cute to do a regular cupcake and use these on top to make it a "rock" cake!



If you're dying for an at-home Harry Potter movie night, but want to stick to your diet, try looking into Sensa weight loss sprinkles -- they're about as close to real magic as you can get!


5 comments:

  1. I am giving you the Versatile Blogger award!! Check out my post at http://oklahomahomemaker.blogspot.com/2011/04/versatile-blogger-award.html to accept your award.

    Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love Harry Potter as well and Friday night we'll be doing the exact same thing! What fun foods you've got picked out!

    I made Butterbeer several years ago, it was similar to that recipe you shared but it was way too sweet. I think I may give this one a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a blast! I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh... some great ideas!

    Thanks so much for sharing this at For the Kids Friday! I will be posting the next party tomorrow night. I'd love to have you back for more fun this week!

    :)rachel at http://SunScholars.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha I'm actually planning on doing the same thing tonight (except it's my little sister that's having the movie night with her friend, and so I wanted to taste-test some harry potter recipes on them that I'm planning to use for the party my friends and I are hosting for the premier:)).

    ReplyDelete